Open Call for Residency Programme for Artists Based in Brazil, at Gasworks, 2024
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 30 OCT 2023
Gasworks and the Gasworks’ Brazilian Residency Patrons’ Circle are working in partnership to offer a fully funded residency at Gasworks in London from April to June 2024.
PIPA Foundation is one of the members of the Gasworks’ Brazilian Residency Patrons’ Circle.
About the Residency
Gasworks programmes up to sixteen residencies each year, inviting emerging international artists to work alongside a community of nine London-based peers for three months. Residencies are non-prescriptive and process-based and focus on enabling artists to research and develop new work. Made public through Open Studios and events, these opportunities encourage interaction, dialogue and professional networking.
Gasworks provides significant pastoral and curatorial support throughout the residency, however artists are also expected to be proactive and self-motivated and lead the research and production of their work while in London.
The Residency comprises:
- 24-hour access to a fully accessible private studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders
- A public Open Studios displaying work produced during the residency at Gasworks
- Support with visa applications and all visa costs covered
- Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London, including 1 cabin and 1 hold luggage
- Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 2-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence), with share of the bathrooms and kitchen
- A weekly stipend of £150 for living expenses
- A materials budget of £800
- Access to Gasworks’ tools and AV equipment, subject to availability
- Travel card (TFL zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours, Monday-Friday, 9:30am-6pm)
- A dedicated residency page on Gasworks’ website
- A short video interview/presentation in advance of the Open Studio to introduce the artists’ work. The video will be permanently added to the residency page on Gasworks’ website
- At least 2 individual studio visits with curators and arts professionals (meetings will be in person however on occasions and when relevant they will also happen virtually)
- Opportunities to meet with other artists, arts professionals, patrons and collectors through at least 2 organised lunches and/or dinners
- Artists are required to write a report (a template will be provided) summarising their residency
The artist will be selected on the basis of his/her/their application. Gasworks will establish a selection panel to ensure a wide perspective on and in-depth knowledge of the contemporary art scene in the UK and Brazil. It will include representatives from Gasworks, the Gasworks’ Brazilian Patrons’ Circle and an independent curator or art professional with expertise on the contemporary art in the region. The successful artist only will be notified by Monday 11 December 2023. Due to the expected high number of applications, Gasworks will be unable to respond individually or provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
Digital applications only made through application form at Gasworks website.
The application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
1. An artist’s statement describing their practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words)
2. A minimum of 10 images (or equivalent extracts from videos, sound work etc…) of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary.
3. A CV/Resume
4. The applicant should write a simple statement outlining his/her/their plans, if selected for the residency, which could include a short description of a research project specific to the context of London or to the residency at Gasworks (up to 250 words). This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the residency.
5. Any relevant documentation (e.g. selected articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
6. A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that the applicant will be available for the period informed for the residency, if selected.
Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If the file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB it will not be able to be submitted.
If the applicant prefers to supply alternatives to text , it can be provided with:
- A 6-minute video or 6-minute sound file in which the points 1 and 4 has to be discussed.
|Open call launch
|Open call deadline
|Shortlist / interview
|1 – 12 November
|Inform selected artist by
|Public artist announcement